Monday, April 23, 2007

Glam-Ma

When my daughter first told me she and her hubby were expecting .... I shrieked with joy and then cringed. I was going to be a Grandmother???? How was that possible?

My wonderful grandmother baked apple pies and wore flowered housecoats and roll down hose. Her corset left crinkles in her otherwise baby soft skin and she waxed the whiskers from her chin with a concotion that smelled like tar and vasoline. Grandma smoked unfiltered and drank in private. Her life was totally devoted to me, and I wouldn't be the woman I am today without her unfailing love and support.


I wear designer jeans, burn most everything I cook, am a health junkie, and have traveled the world in the course of my career. My children were raised with the assumption that they would come along for the ride. I am a boomer.

Although I had always fanticized about being a Grandmother, this seemed too soon. I had trips planned, workouts to do, projects to finish. I didn't own a house dress or corset and would need to take cooking classes to learn the art of baking apple pies.

And then my daughter presented me with a 4D image of my granddaughter to be. Meg Evans South, in utero, is a beauty. Her lips are full and luscious, her nose squished and adorable and she is smiling. Be still my heart.

This is a journey many of us in the boomer generation are making. As we redefined women in the workplace and marriage equality, so we will redefine being grandparents. Goldie Hawn said it first. We are Glammas.

See my travels and Glam Journal at www.glamgal.typepad.com or read about my background at www. judithevansthomas.com

And email me to share your stories.




Technorati Profile


Add to Technorati Favorites


No comments: